Sunday 4 November 2012

Welcome one and all step up and ride the crystal palace roller coaster!






I have decided to create this blog to express my views on being a Crystal Palace fan. I know there are a few CPFC blog spots out there but I wanted to create my own and put my personal view out in to the CPFC community. Being a Palace fan has been described as the ultimate roller coaster ride and that is truly the best way to describe the team, I am pretty sure very few other clubs have seen the complete highs and lows as Palace have and we all know it has been one hell of a journey.

My journey as a Palace fan began on 12/8/1995 I was 9 years old; it was a brilliant game against Barnsley. I went with my parents and my brother, and I got my face painted red and blue. Palace ended winning that game 4-3 with Iain Dowie scoring a brace, and I knew from that moment even as a 9 year old lad I would be hooked for life. To be honest I was more mesmerized by the shear amount of people together in one place it. It was a warm Summer day all the fans were in great spirit - since that moment I have never looked back. My love grew each week for the club and it has never stopped growing. This roller coaster we live each day is something I would not change for the world. We've seen administration twice in the last 10 years, promotion, relegation and utter heartache when we thought the club may never exist. Would we change the way Crystal Palace are? Never!

Recently the team's fortunes have gone from serious highs to lows and back up to highs in a couple of weeks. We have seen the departure of a club legend in Dougie Freedman who was a very good manager and had the team playing incredibly well, to join a lowly Bolton which seems to have been for more money. Dougie to me was a manger I loved and respected. I remember playing football with my mates as a young lad pretending to be Dougie Freedman, so to see him move to Bolton for a side which I believe is not up to the current standard of our squad, was very disappointing and leaves a real bitter taste in the mouth. It was the manner in which he left the club and his words afterwards which left no comfort for any of us saying "he wanted a challenge". I'm sorry Dougie, how many years were you at Palace? You know how much the club is a challenge and if you really want the impossible chance of taking Bolton to the Premier League, then be my guest.

Freedman has left the club so I won't be harping on about about him anymore. It is time to get behind the excellent Ian Holloway, and hope the team keeps this brilliant 11 game UN-beaten streak running and hopefully gain promotion to the promised land. See what I mean by a roller coaster!!? One week we lose the manager we love, then after his departure the team keeps churning out brilliant results beating Leicester who were top of the league at the crisp bowl, then beating newly relegated Blackburn Rovers expertly. We show off our brand new manger Ian Holloway at half time and it seems the roller coaster has almost reached its peak.  This blog will follow my thoughts on the happenings at Crystal Palace. I will be updating the blog a few times a week so I hope you all enjoy a good read about the Crystal Palace roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment